Apo Experience; An Experience I will hold close to my Heart.

An Experience shared by Sinivar Kasimani, Senior Producer, NBCTV 

When I was first told I will be travelling to the Eastern Highlands Province, for the ABC Media Development Initiative Project, “Road to Recovery,” the first thought that went through my mind was, “These highlanders are rogue and rough.” I panicked. You know the typical stereotype of Papua New Guineans that all highlanders are same…

                                    Sinivar Kasimani and NBCEHP Broadcast Officer Cecelia Woito
This was also my first time to the highlands region and as a coastal woman, I was scared yet excited. My partner, being to the highlands region quite a couple of times assured me not all highlanders are same, but you would know as a first timer; it still did not go down well with me. Like yes I have many friends from the highlands region, but this was going to be my first time to meet people from the rural areas. It will be a different scenario.
On the day we flew, I was anxious. I tried to sleep during the flight but I could not. It could be said it was the turbulence that kept me up, but in fact it was that pit feeling in my stomach on how my experience will be like in the province.
As soon as I heard the pilot making the announcement for the cabin crew to be seated and prepare for arrival, I looked out the window. That very instant, my heart skipped a bit as I looked out mountains after mountains. As I looked down, I saw umbrellas; of people in the markets, the airport in the heart of Goroka town, gave me a feeling of how beautiful this town is.
Sinivar with Cameraman Editor Edwin Wavu and ABCMDI Research and M&E Coordinator Joys Eggins.
When the plane landed and came to a stop, I was the first out of my team to get out… when outside, with the cold air kissing my face, I knew that instant I was going to love my week stay in Goroka.
After getting our things and going out of the terminal, I was amazed at the first interaction my team and I had. A man in a 10 seater kindly asked us we were ok and needed a lift. At that moment, the stereotypes of all highlanders are same came to my mind… I saw that we always judged them according to stories we hear and it spoils our mindset about them…
When we got to NBC EHP and meeting the people we were going to work with for the week, I felt more and more comfortable being in the province.
And during the week of doing our work, and going to places like Daulo Pass, Kenemaro, Kabiufa, Kerefa to name a few, and meeting people, my heart felt more at peace. These people made me feel welcome to be in their province. They treated me like I was one of their own. I felt a sense of belonging. I felt at peace. This feeling was because of the stereotypes I hear every time as a coastal woman.
The day we left, I couldn’t bear to say goodbye to the brothers I met. I knew I would break down. But I know I have not only met new people in my life in my Apo Experience, but I have met family.
I could go on, but this is my story and my experience of Apo country.
We need to do away with stereotypes of regionalism in the country. We are one and we all should be proud of be Papua New Guineans.
With all my love for Apo Country… Such Things Ya… Mulune ❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CONSTRUCTION SME PROVIDES PARTWAY FOR LAE YOUTHS

My Analysis on the PNG Media Policy v4 - 2023.

IMPORTANCE OF DATA JOURNALISM AND ITS USELFUL TOOLS