PNG 49th Indepence celebrations: Theres hope still - A personal reflection.



Former schoolmates from UPNG catching up at Kensington.

On Saturday, September 14th, Papua New Guineans living in Sydney gathered at Kensington to celebrate the country's 49th anniversary and reflect on its journey since 1975. Despite the distance from their homeland, members of the PNG diaspora remain deeply connected to the country’s progress and are optimistic about its potential to thrive on the global stage. For many, the anniversary is a moment to assess Papua New Guinea’s growth as a nation, especially in areas of development and international relations. 

 

When ''ambuge Joysi'' gots the ladies on the dance floor.

The 49th independence anniversary of Papua New Guinea is a moment of both celebration and reflection. For me, it represents the resilience of our people, our rich cultural heritage, and our journey as a nation. Living in Australia has certainly deepened my connection to my identity as a Papua New Guinean. Being away from home makes you realize how much culture, tradition, and community define who you are. While I’ve embraced aspects of Australian life and have grown in many ways living here, I find that it’s my Papua New Guinean roots that have anchored me. In a foreign land, cultural practices like language, food, and community gatherings take on a new significance—they become a way to stay connected to home. The experience of navigating both cultures has enriched my sense of identity, giving me a deeper appreciation for the values of communal living, respect for elders, and the spirit of resilience that we Papua New Guineans possess. It also made me a sort of cultural ambassador, where I find myself sharing the stories, traditions, and history of Papua New Guinea with those around me, fostering a greater understanding and pride in my heritage.

 

I’m hopeful that we will see more investment in education and healthcare. Our natural resources are vast, but we must ensure that all benefits are shared and that future generations can access quality education. That's where our future lies.

 

PNG Scholars under the Australian Awards Scholarship studying in NSW (cohort 22).
From Right Winnifred Duk (Newcastle Uni), PhD Candidate, Albertine Ayius (ACU) Master of Social Work, Shadrach Jally (Unitech Sydney), Master of Biotechnology and Kevin Dayonga (Macquarie Uni), Dual Master of Creative Industries and Master of Media and Communications.

I also hope that everyone, including the government, will collaborate to strengthen governance systems and fight corruption, which has long plagued the country’s development. Good leadership is at the heart of progress, and I dream of a Papua New Guinea where transparency and accountability are the norm and leaders genuinely work for the people.

 

I am optimistic that the international community will continue to see Papua New Guinea as a key player in the Pacific, particularly as the nation navigates challenges such as climate change, social issues, and regional diplomacy. We have a voice, and it’s important that Papua New Guineans rise up, take ownership, fix the wrongs that disproportionately affect us, and advocate for a better future for the next generation. 

 

Looking to the future, as a young Papua New Guinean in Sydney, I'm determined to see the country balance modernization with the preservation of our rich cultural heritage. I love how diverse PNG is. It’s what makes us unique. But we need to ensure that we don’t lose sight of our roots as we grow. Our languages, traditions, and customs are what tie us together as a people.

 

Happy 49th Independence Celebrations PNG.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CONSTRUCTION SME PROVIDES PARTWAY FOR LAE YOUTHS

My Analysis on the PNG Media Policy v4 - 2023.

KUTUBU CELEBRATES 9TH FESTIVAL - 2019