Jinare Clocks 10 years of Service

 


We all have stories to tell, some with a smooth sail all through while others have a different experience thrown into a tumultuous situation and forced to whirlwind out of it. The experience is always a bittersweet one. 


For Xavier Jinare, giving up was not an option; his perseverance, silent prayers, and love and support from his family and friends made him secure an opportunity with one of the country's prestigious organizations, the Papua New Guinea Defence Force. He is attached to the Public Affairs Division and is based at the headquarters in Port Moresby. 

Jinare in one of those operations in the highlands

''It was 2011, after several failed attempts to join the PNG defense force from the nation's capital, I traveled up to Lae, Morobe Province, to try my luck for the 4th time from there. During those years, the PNG DF Head Quarters' recruitment team usually traveled to provincial capitals to conduct recruitment. The recruitment team was stationed in Igam Barracks to conduct the recruitment process, and with a determined and positive attitude, I tried again for the 4th time''.

''To cut a long story short, I passed all my requirements and tests. By 10 pm, I was the last candidate interviewed by an industrial psychologist to complete the recruitment process. Right after the next day, I was among a few other candidates that passed the entrance exams. 

It was a relief and great news. I felt like the weight I carried on my shoulder had disappeared. We were asked to give our uniform and boot sizes, including the point of hire or destination, of which we will have to pick our tickets to fly to Port Moresby to kick start the basic military Training. It was a relief for me and those who passed the tests. The thought of finally securing a spot was overwhelming. That was September of 2011.''

''However, little did I know that it was far from over; the tides changed, the excitement faded, and now it was a race of time. The wait for the PNGDF airline ticket seemed endless. My world crashed; I was anxious and left in the dark. After the new year of 2012, I traveled back to Port Moresby, hoping there would be an opportunity again. I heard rumors that NCD had a batch ready for Training. 

I was devastated, depressed, heartbroken, and lost all hope when the rumor was confirmed. Fearing that I would be left out again for the 4th time was hard to swallow. But I was adamant, and despite not being on the list, I stood waiting at Murray barracks listening attentively to all the names being called out, hoping the recruiters would call out my name. But that didn't happen; nevertheless, I stood my ground and waited patiently, witnessing disappointments, happiness, or despair. 

 ''I was lost in my world, as the adrenaline rushed through my body and head pulsating and my heart beating faster; time didn't matter, nor did the few people around me. I felt unwanted, broken, and betrayed. And then, it finally dawned on me that joining the Army was not my calling. It wasn't for me, and with a heavy heart, I paused for a while, gathered myself together, and was about to walk out of the gate and head home when the psychologist who interviewed me in Igam recognized me and called out. 

He motioned me towards him and asked if I was the last candidate he interviewed in Lae. I confirmed, and he told me Lae candidates would not join this batch. However, there is space, and I had a valid medical report for three months that was done in Igam, and I am still eligible to join the batch.''

''He advised me what to pack for the duration of the Training and said to be at the barracks on the 12th of January and walked off. I was stunned and afraid to utter a word. I couldn't believe my ears; The clogged feeling that had built up over time somehow disappeared and left me weak with excitement and exhaustion. I sat down for a while and absorbed the psychologist's remarks, reminiscing on all the efforts I had put through. After a while, I got my bearings together and walked home, relieved and happy.''

''By the 12th of January and just before lunchtime, I was on a truck to Goldie Barracks to start my military Training. It was indeed a tumultuous bittersweet journey. My Training at Goldie Training Depot was a different experience altogether. I'll leave that for another time. 


Jinare on duty in the Highlands.

''The point here is whoever that's gone down this road would relate, and each of them has their own stories. This is my story and the experiences I've gone through to become a Soldier. From my experience, it was a challenging ride getting into one of PNG's prestigious organizations. 

Doing it the hard way will teach you the meaning of perseverance and inspire you to work hard in Training and civil life. It did for my family and me. I will always appreciate all I have crossed paths with and assisted me during my plight to join this band of brotherhood.

This is my tenth year in service, and I'm forever grateful and blessed to be part of the Papua New Guinea Defence Force and the many opportunities I have been part of. 

 Thank you for reading, and God bless.

 Xavier Jinare, Public Affairs - HQ PNG Defense Force

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CONSTRUCTION SME PROVIDES PARTWAY FOR LAE YOUTHS

My Analysis on the PNG Media Policy v4 - 2023.

IMPORTANCE OF DATA JOURNALISM AND ITS USELFUL TOOLS